Wednesday, June 11, 2014

It's Hard Being Here...

Yay! I'm finally back in Haiti for good. I have been putting off and putting off dusting off the old blog because I just wasn't in the mood to do an update. It has been a little challenging getting accustomed to being back at CLS again, which explains the kind of negative title to this post. :) God reminded me early on that being here in Haiti will not be easy. It will be hard. But I'm also reminded by the five months that follow my previous trips to Haiti, that not being here is hard too. God does not call us to do things that are easy and believe me, living in Haiti isn't easy. I'm thankful God reminded me of this early one....like on day one! But enough of that stuff... Here we go...

I traveled down with a wonderful group from my sister Sallie's church of First Baptist Church Williams, located in Jacksonville, Alabama. We were blessed by very smooth flights with no delays and yup, no lost bags! Even though arriving at the airport is easier than it used to be, I am still sooooo happy when I see a familiar face to pick me up at the airport. Seeing David and Edmond (the awesome, official CLS driver) at the airport was a confirmation that we were here! My friend, Tcharly, one of the older boys, was also there. Sometimes that arrival and greeting you receive at the airport is just the best thing ever! You never feel so good as when you get away from that airport. I was told once that if you can survive the airport in Haiti, you can survive ANYTHING in Haiti! One first for me this time was that as our bags were being loaded into the truck, a man serenaded us by playing the Star-Spangled Banner on his trumpet. It was quite amusing to say the least. :)
I was so glad to get back to the school and the children's home. The kids were excited to me. One of the twins, either Guyvenson or Yvenson tried opening the truck door before it was even parked! And I was thrilled to get out and hear Kervenson saying "Ms. Ashleigh! Ms. Ashleigh!". That boy is just soooo precious. Oh how I love him. 

Kervenson. Or as he calls himself, "the baby".

The last few days have been very very busy around CLS as the chikungunya virus has made its' way around the Children's Home and School. But we've got some really really good mamas here. :) As of now, most of the children are well and back to their usual selves. It was just the weirdest thing the first couple of days because there was hardly anyone playing soccer in the yard. Which is a rarity around here. 
I have enjoyed getting reacquainted with the children and others here that I hadn't met yet. As always, in Haiti, the days are hot and nights sometimes are too. The smells can be strange at times and it is super noisy, but there is honestly and absolutely no place on Planet Earth I would rather be than right here. Whether it is rocking a child to sleep, listening to the precious neighbor kids sing sweetly, or the boys playing soccer and being soooo thrilled when they make the goal, God had placed me and each of us here at CLS for a specific purpose. I cannot wait to see how God uses me to further His kingdom here. I would love to say more, but I'll leave that for another day. There is no possible way to tell every emotion or joy filled moment. No books in the world could EVER hold all of them. Please continue to pray for me and everyone here at CLS.

Ashleigh

Jean Wilson