Sunday, June 15, 2014

Always Half Full....Never Empty

Mislene, Rosemarline, and Rosemica
playing the Spot-It game I brought.
  They love to play games. 
So it's not really that late but I feel like it is. So this blog post maybe a little messed up. So forgive me and I'll try to stop saying so, so much. : )
Have I mentioned how much I love being in Haiti? I feel like this is my real home and where I am meant to be right now. I am so blessed that God has allowed me to do this. As usual, my cup runneth over. I feel like I'm am settling in better (finally got in a private room) and feel like I'm accomplishing more than I was when I first arrived. This is an answered prayer, because I was struggling to figure out exactly what my place would be besides teaching. 
Today, I did something that is just one of my favorite things....I got to clean out, organize, and most importantly, throw away a bunch of old junk. There is a supply room off of the school office that has become quite messy. Sherrie asked Katy and I to clean it. We worked for probably 6 hours cleaning and consolidating so the supplies can be easily accessed. We found there are 3 things we have a lot of: crayons, pencils, and notebook paper! We have tons!!!!! I was delight my surprised to find not one, buy two microscopes that actually worked. I thought there was ony one. Now granted, one of them doesn't even have it's' own light source, just mirrors, but it still worked really good. And I think these would be preferable on Haiti, since power is unreliable here to say the least. 
After cleaning the supply room, I was litetrally dusty from head to toe, complete even with dust freckles. I will definitely post pictures of the finished product. 
The medians on the way to church, painted for the World Cup. Photo credit goes to Lindsey Middleton. :)
Moving in to probably my least favorite subject: sports. I'm learning to appreciate soccer more because the older boys and girls at CLS love soccer, actually I think most of Haiti does. And with the World Cup in full swing....it's hard not to get caught up in soccer fever. The definite favorite in Haiti is Brazil, followed by Argentina. You see more Brazilian flags in Haiti than you do Haitian flags. The medians in the street have actually been painted with these two teams colors. 
Okay, enough sports. Today was Jeffley's birthday (one of the CLS kids). He's a sweet boy and today be brought us kineps. The kids eat these tiny little fruits like candy. They. Love. Them. He brought  a bundle for Lindsey, Katy, Tammy, and myself. 
Kineps! :)

The birthday boy Jeffley and I, last December

Saturday was especially significant because I ventured out and walked to the local Rebo coffee shop (kind of like Starbucks). We walk through the neighborhood market to get there and have to cross Airport Road, but it was totally worth it! AC, cold drinks, totally worth the sweat and fear that I might get ran over. I see many visits to there in my future. It is nice having an escape from the heat and just everyday stresses than can come from serving in Haiti. Although, all I am say is that I am blessed by my circumstances here. As I write this, I am reminded that out city power had been on for like 5 daaaaaaays! Which never happens. It went off maybe 2 hours ago, but is now back on. We have been overjoyed by this blessing. ☺️ 
Lindsey, Me, Katy, Josh, Tammy at Cafe REBO.
Notice the Brasil flag in the background!

Let me say a little bit about church. I love that we pretty much get to go to the same church every week. It is an English speaking church called Port-au-Prince Fellowship. It is weird going there because we go to the early service at 8:30 and get back around 10:00ish. I was just thinking today that my church back home doesn't even start until an hour after I'm totally done with my church service. 
I going to try and shut up soon, but I just want to share a lot tonight for some reason! Tonight I helped Madame Jaquelin clean up after dinner and was lucky enough to get to clean off the fried chicken plate. That meant I got to eat all the little fried pieces of skin that was left behind. : ) Ooooohh it was good. As I was putting away some leftover rice, God reminded me of how he has been preparing me for this for a long time. I literally went to out rice in a container and was trying to decide if it would all fit. For some reason, I remember my Aunt Shirley telling me that "you can put more in those than you think." At that money in dawned on me, that every life experience has equipped me for the plans God has for me. Just like me cleaning out that supply closet, I have cleaned and organized tons of stuff back home at church and for my mother. Who'd have thought I would have to do it at a school in Haiti or that it would come
in handy to know how to work a microscope? I am amazed by how God uses random little experiences to remind you of His purpose for you and His provision in your life to equip you. I said it once already, but my cup runneth over. 
I will leave you with a quote from Louie Giglio that I feel led to share: 

"God is using your present circumstances to make you more useful for later roles in His unfolding story." 

Goodnight from Haiti.

❤️

Ashleigh